Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Lithops at Matthaei conservatory in Detroit

They've renovated the conservatory in Detroit and the Detroit Free Press highlights the Lithops collection. Calling them "Rock Stars" (I like that.), they comment that
Lithops come in various sizes, markings and colors, like mottled pink, brown and gray. Flat-topped and stout, they look like cute fireplugs or, possibly, distant relatives of SpongeBob SquarePants.
I'd never thought of them in that light, but I'll have to ask my granddaughter if she sees the resemblance. She's the expert on SpongeBob in our family. the article continues:
Lou Kilbert of West Bloomfield, president of the Michigan Cacti and Succulent Society, has raised many lithops in a greenhouse, but says the plants are difficult for the average home gardener to keep alive.
That may be true enough for the "average home gardener", Lou, but most of my cactus and succulent friends are anything but average home gardeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment